It was a great race! I felt strong the whole time. I started out with my dad and then I went ahead. I’d run hard for a few min and then walk a min or 2.
I was on pace to hit a PR. My last 10k was back in sept and my time was 1.16.50.
Today at mile 4 I was at 44 minutes and feeling great. I had been worried about my dad. I knew he would finish, but I wanted to make sure he finished in under an hr and a half as that was the time limit.
At mile 4 I decided it’s not all about me. Yes, my goal for today was to PR. But I wouldn’t be where i’m at today if it weren’t for my dad. He’s going to be 68 next month. This was his first 10k. We ran our first 5k together. I know there aren’t a ton of years left that we’ll be able to race together. I will have other races I can PR at. He’ll never have another FIRST 10k.
At mile 4 I turned around and - feeling stronger than ever - ran back to find my dad. He was surprised to see me and asked what I was doing. I had to hold back tears as I told him I came back to run with him - that we were going to beat the cut off.
We finished in 1:24. We held hands as we crossed the finish line. It was a great race and I can’t wait to do it again next year.
now i’m gonna go run 5ish more at the lake my mom used to go walk around.
- lifebylou likes this
- runsforredvelvet said:Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing with us! :) You’re dad is a lucky guy!
- runsforredvelvet likes this
- imlyndsey likes this
- missmarisol likes this
- lp-1p-lp likes this
- tumblingoffthecouch likes this
- aimeereinvented likes this
- thewritebite said:This is such a cute story! Congrats!
- tallmormon likes this
- amandagetsfit likes this
- katiegirlchasesinfinity likes this
- runelrun likes this
- becky-balances likes this
- stephsdoinglife likes this
- westcoastrunner likes this
- tinkerbellrun said:You just had to make me cry, didn’t you?! ;-) But seriously, that is so awesome that you two finished the race together! Just beautiful! ♥
- tinkerbellrun likes this
- ceebeedoeslife likes this
- karikeepsrunning likes this
- sarina-marie-health-y likes this
- irondoeslife likes this
- lifewithkim likes this
- chrystidoeslife likes this
- thepreppyhippielife said:Beautiful
- thepreppyhippielife likes this
- snapthistiger likes this
- livingformeandmimi said:What an amazing thing to do. As someone who doesn’t have her dad anymore, I love to hear of people “taking care of” theirs! You are a beautiful person…inside and out!
- livingformeandmimi likes this
- uhoh-janellio likes this
- yogawarriornyc said:What a beautiful story! Brought tears to my eyes :)
- 4korbust likes this
- mamaterrarist likes this
- marathonmelissa likes this
- activealways likes this
- davidsgoals said:AWESOME POST! Way to go Lindsay!
- gillsquirt said:you are the cutest!!!
- gillsquirt likes this
- victoriafindslife likes this
- keepgoinggreen likes this
- keepgoinggreen said:I love that you went back to run in with your Dad! Awesome - just awesome!!!
- lifeandtimesofkyma said:Brought tears. Love this.
- sabbyrunsatl likes this
- insearchofmybalance said:amazing. amazing amazing amazing. ♥ u.
- makingitupeachday likes this
- tjvalentine70 likes this
- regainingmymoxy likes this
- joshbuildshealth likes this
- runswithpoodles likes this
- thisfearlesslife said:Awesome!